NYC Natural History Museum and Central Park -- March 2024

Natural History Museum and Central Park -- March 9, 2024 

Our hotel included breakfast; it was very good. There were four different hot things each morning, which included: bacon, hashbrowns, pancakes, Belgium waffles, and scrambled eggs. I got a bagel, which said that it was a New York bagel and was in a package, so I got it because we were there. Though I do normally like bagels, but I did not expect it to be great coming pre-packaged. However, it was very good. Travis got another for a snack before we went into the museum, except he got raisin, which repulsed Owen. I also don't like raisins but did not intend to eat it. The hotel had a toaster and cream cheese for the bagel like I like. The hashbrown was very good; it was only available our first day. They also had cereals, yogurts, bread to toast, and tea and coffee. No hot chocolate, and I did not find the water until leaving, so did not have anything to drink during breakfast. 

We then took the Metro to the natural history museum, properly called the American Museum of Natural History, and Central Park, across the street. We arrived a little early to have some time to walk around Central Park. There were a lot of runners, so I thought it was a race. Travis thought just runners. Joel is the photographer here, so in cell phone orientation. Across a pond in the park and pretty trees. 


You can pre-purchase tickets to the museum and have to pre-book a timed entry ticket/reservation for a particular day and time. We had 10am on Saturday, so the line was long with some rain and cold. It did move quickly though. I overhead a security guard noting to someone that since it was rainy and Saturday, it is busy. Joel is planning to major in Chemistry and has always enjoyed Science so wanted this stop. Inside we got tickets and picked our extra activities: Great Blue Whale (45 min show, be there about 10 mins early), Elephants (special walk through exhibit), and Butterflies (area with live butterflies to walk through). 


This atrium area was not here when Travis and I came in 2016. It reminds me of Park Güell in Barcelona that I liked so much. 



The butterfly area was very cool; though I still don't like butterflies because they are like moths with stuff that comes off their wings. An employee asked us if we had any questions. So, we asked some, and he shared good info.  



The Pupae Incubator; one here made it out. How did it fit in there? 




The meteor

We were able to leave for lunch and use the same tickets to come back. We left after our 1:30 pm butterfly time, so a late lunch. We picked Uno -- Chicago pizza -- hehe. It was not NY pizza, but I liked the deep dish with the tomato sauce on top in Chicago. It was good and hit the spot for a late lunch. 

After (in the dizzle), we returned to the museum to see the remaining items on Joel's list. 

Joel and I downloaded their app, and Travis also did in the museum. They provided wifi to use it. It was very good where you can pick where you wanted to go, it determined where you were now, and give detailed instructions and visuals to get there. I did have trouble finding where I wanted to go some; however, I believe that there was a search feature that should have worked. I just had trouble finding it. They allowed backpacks up to 11"x17". This requirement seems to be missing the most important dimension of how far it sticks off ones back, but what do I know :). They also allowed water. 

Next up...Embarkation day

Table of Contents  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iceland and Greenland on the NCL Star - July 2023

Iceland: NCL Star Embarkation

Iceland: South Coast Tour